Tuesday, February 15, 2011

most prominent theme-kgaines3

In the book Mississippi Solo by Eddy L. Harris, I believe that the prominent theme of the book would be over coming obstacles that no one thinks that you can. This theme is demonstrated throughout the book whenever Eddy meets anyone who asks, “Where are you headed?” (20). He received many different responses to this question once he answered. They varied from, “You are crazy,” or “I wish I could go!”(51). Every time Eddy ventured into a new town, usually small towns, they all knew that he was not a regular in the town. But, he never did let what anyone would say get to him. Someone once said to him, “You should have a jacket like that. Instead of River Rat it should say River Nigger.”(70). Eddy simply responded, not with violence or being rude but with, “I’m from Nigeria. You mean River Niger. Aha-aha-aha!”(70). In the beginning none of Eddy’s friends thought that he would be able to make it on this trip; clearly he is proving them all wrong. Not only is he ‘just making it’, he is even making a few friends along the way.

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with your theme choice because Eddy seemed liked he was gonna be wanting to call a quuits, but then he would also find a certain person to keep him motivated in these new towns when he was wanting to call a quits. People like Emily for example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your theme because Eddie seemed like he was thinking about calling his trip off untill he would meet a person that would tell him how lucky he was or that they wish they could go with him and that would motivate him to continue on his journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree the theme is to overcome the obstacles that seem impossible. Also you can never give up what your trying to accomplish. If you give up youll never get anywhere in life

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your theme because the whole entire journey was an obstacle that no one thought he could do. None of his friends believed in him when he started and now he has so much to show for it. He's also overcame anything from wild dogs to raging rapids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about the theme. Throughout the book, Eddy keeps up his effort and accomplishes his goal and dream of going down the Mississippi all the way.

    ReplyDelete