Wednesday, February 9, 2011

setting

yes, i believe eddy has done this. "the morning seemed brittle. when the sun finally rose it looked like it would have taken any excuse at all and go back to bed"(19). Eddy is trying to explain how faint the sun is shining and how the day seems slow and down. "finally the moon rises and throws down its light"(26). eddy is using personification to show how the moon shines in the night after a very long day of being on the river and pushing through its hardships.

2 comments:

  1. I disagree with your post, because your quotes have nothing to do with setting or personification. I beleive that Eddy Harris does make the setting feel like a character. For example, when Eddy said "The Mississippi. Mighty, muddy, dangerous, rebellious, and yet a strong, fathering kind of river. The river captured my imagination when I was young and has never let it go" (1). Eddy is describing the river as a character saying it is "fathering" and "rebellious" but yet its still "strong". Also, Eddy Harris does use personification to describe the Mississippi River. For example "Gurgling, cooing gently, the great river is just a baby" (15). This is personification because he describe the river as gentle and calm, but later on it is strong majestic and rebellious it is just like a human start out a baby being gentle but then grow into a strong person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think your quotes demonstrate personification. However, I think you need to do a more thorough job of explaining how your quotes are a good example of your answer. Your explanations are just a bit weak. Look at Kelsey1's explanations. This is what you want to be doing. Don't just give me a quote, tell me what that quote is relevant.
    ________________________________________________

    ReplyDelete