Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Mississippi Solo Setting Post #2

Mississippi Solo is set in the setting of the the late 1800's, early 1900's around the Mississippi River. It is logical that the setting of thee book is the Mississippi River. Eddy Harris did a great job of expressing the river as if it was human. He explain to us the features of the river, and the way the river responded to that. In his description, the river seemed real, an very lively like. "The river has become an adversary" (26). To me as a student reading it from an author's prespective, this quote spoke alot. This statement is like having a character as an opponent, like an invisible character. Eddy Harris explain the setting well so that we could understand, and "read between the lines".

5 comments:

  1. actually it is based in the 1980's. for the first 10 pages i too thought that it was based in the 1900's or something. but as you read they mention highway overpasses, cars, and even cell phones. and it is based on his real life adventures. which was published in 88'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your post because Eddy does describe the river as like it is a human. He descibes the physical aspects of the river perfectly. I also feel like the river is a character by itself.I also agree that anyone who reads this book is "reading between the lines" because he makes it so easy to read and understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your statement of the river being human-like. I like that you stated that the river is like the opponent, and an invisible character. That is a good explanation of the position of this river as we get deeper in this book. As far as the setting, and "reading between the lines," that is true, and it is because of the personification he uses with the river to fully understand his journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @georgiagirl3- Great quote! I wish you had noticed the correct setting, but your explanation of how the setting is a character is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. __________________________________________________

    ReplyDelete