Wednesday, February 9, 2011
Setting Post
Eddy Harris does a very good job developing the setting into a character in Mississippi Solo. "The Mississippi. Mighty, muddy, dangerous, rebellious, and yet a strong, fathering kind of river. The river captured my imagination when I was young and has never let it go"(1). Eddy is pretty much describing the river as anyone does, then he uses the words "rebellious" and "fathering" in his description. The other words he uses, mighty, muddy, dangerous, and strong, can also be used to describe a person. Throwing the words rebellious and fathering in there make the river sound like a person/character in the book. In fact, he talks about the river as a character throughout the book. "I have been with this river a long long time. I knew his mother. I watched him being born. I don't want to see him die. I watched him meandering playfully in youth and running joyfully. I don't want o see him wandering lost in the delta, searching for his way among the bayous weak and aimless like an old man"(242). Eddy is pretty much saying that he watched the Mississippi form from Lake Itasca (Mississippi's mother) and grow into the huge mile wide river that it is now. Instead of just saying that, he threw some personification in there to turn a lifeless river into a constantly developing character.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have to agree with STL Treacherous post and why he chooses the Mississippi river as another character. Eddy Harris did a fantastic job on developing the river into another character. His descriptions on the river clear give it human characteristics. The way he describe river could be consider a mom having her moments, some days being bad and other days joyful, that which also affects the kid and in these case its eddy Harris making the trip down the Mississippi river with obstacles.
ReplyDelete@ STL Treacherous (3)- Yes! Very well done! I love seeing these posts improve. You've done an excellent job of using your quotes to prove your point! A perfect 4!
ReplyDelete