Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Theme-justine3

In the book "Mississippi Solo" by Eddy L. Harris the theme i believe is you can do anything if you put your mind to it and going through obstacles. This is shown when Eddy says " I would not make my being black a part of my success or failure or too great a factor in how I perceive things" (67). this shows that he is setting his mind because he is not making a big deal of him being an African American stop him from what he wants to do and what other people may think of him being black and wanting to canoe down the river. Also this is shown when Eddy says " Racism-sure it exists, I know that. But its effect and effectiveness depend as much on the reaction as on the action" (69). This also shows that he is going through obstacles because of him being black people are think that he is a crazy a black man for wanting to canoe down the river during the winter, but he is not letting them stop him from his goal. When the people do say something for him being black or may call him a bad word his reaction is'nt violence he just simply responds back to them as if nothing happened.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you as well because you have great examples and quotes that really make sense of the theme. They all are related in some way and all go together. I agree because many people give up if the journy is too hard or if people taunt you about it and how stupid it is, but how Eddy fought through it was amazing. He truly is determined to finish his goal and to suceed.

    ReplyDelete